Biggest beginner GPS mistakes
SectionHiker has produced a list of the 10 biggest mistakes made by beginners when hiking.
The 10 mistakes are:
- Not practicing using your GPS
- Not resetting the trip data at the start of every hike
- Not installing 24K maps
- Not hiking with a map and compass
- Not having a trip plan
- Not checking your position frequently
- Not setting the map datum and declination properly
- Trusting that your GPS is 100% accurate
- Not bringing spare batteries
- Blindly following “as the crow flies” GPS directions
A short explanation of each mistake is included at the SectionHiker link below . .